Been soaking up the summer sun? We know how good it feels to get outside and get basking. But as the summer draws to an end (depressing, we know), it’s time to start thinking ahead. After the months of sun exposure and dehydration, your skin is craving some TLC.
By focusing on your skin care once the summer is done, you give yourself plenty of time to get back in fighting shape for the following warm season. Now is the moment to take advantage of the coming colder months. While winter isn’t always an exciting prospect, it is an excellent time to pamper and rejuvenate your skin.
How Sunlight Damages Your Skin
There’s no denying that sunlight feels good. But the ultraviolet rays lurking within the sun’s rays cause skin damage. “Age spots” aren’t actually due to the passing years – they’re the result of exposure to sunlight. The skin contains melanocytes, cells that create melanin. This dark substance protects skin from the sun, and also gives it color. Excess melanin results in the formation of spots. Think about the most common areas to show brown spots: the face, hands, neck, and arms. They’re also the areas of the body that spend the most time in direct sunlight. Tanning and sunburns intensify the effect.
In addition to changing the skin’s pigmentation, ultraviolet light also leads to skin laxity (looseness). UV rays damage elastin, skin fibers responsible for tightness and structure. As the fibers break down, the skin sags and loses its shape. It also becomes injured more easily, and requires more healing time. These changes may not be immediately apparent, but will show up at some point later in life.
Refreshing and Rejuvenating Post-Summer Skin
Now that the summer is drawing to a close, it’s time to assess the damage. Between the sun exposure, dehydration, and chlorine from pools, your skin is thirsty and in need of some extra help. Any of the treatments below will help make a difference:
- Chemical peel – A peel is an ideal way to remove dead, tired skin cells and reveal the fresh, vibrant layer beneath. Laser Skin Solutions Jacksonville offers a wide variety of peels, and we can match the perfect one to your skin type and dermal needs.
- Facial – A facial exfoliates, hydrates, and tones – giving your skin exactly what it needs after months of hot, dry summer weather. Plus, you feel refreshed post-treatment and return to your day with a happy glow.
- Laser Genesis – This laser treatment delivers a gentle warming to the skin, diminishing spots, fine lines, and other signs of sun damage. Most patients find the procedure relaxing and entirely comfortable.
- IPL treatment – IPL treatments are especially effective on spots caused by UV rays. You can receive IPL on many different areas of the body.
- Personalized skin care regimen – Is your home skin care delivering the way it should? Dr. Lezaic can recommend or prescribe products that do exactly what you need them to do. Use the winter months to get your skin hydrated and back in fighting shape.
Time for Laser Hair Removal in Jacksonville?
While your body hair doesn’t have to do with sun damage, it is another treatment that’s best delivered in the colder months. Not only will your treated skin stay protected from the sun, but you’ll also be able to welcome the next warn season with smoother skin and reduced problem hair.
Whether you’re interested in skin treatments or laser hair reduction, we have something on offer that will satisfy. Get in touch with our clinic to learn more.